Monday, October 20, 2008

Something that needs to be said

lately, I have been following the speeches by McCain and Palin.  The topics are mixed, but usually they find a way to curve all of them back to "Our boys are fighting for freedom overseas..." a reference tying McCain's service to the young men and women fighting overseas in Bush's war.  First I think that is a slap, although it is funny how they use wars that are both based on the same premise to push an agenda.

The war overseas has nothing to do with our freedom.  It hasn't in years.  man, that sucks to say.. years.. but I digress...

The young people that went overseas to Afghanistan were originally sent there to find and defeat enemies of the United States due to 9/11.  I will not argue that fact, I even supported it.  However that might have been, we have thrown out organized hatred within that country, and now should be looking at leaving.  There was a purpose to go there, we accomplished that purpose, now let them come home. 

Iraq on the other hand, here is a case of Bush and his cronies wanting to up their stock portfolio.  I mean look at it.  Chaney is an ex-board memeber of Halliburton.  He still has PLENTY of stock in a blind trust waiting for him when he leaves office.  Halliburton was given no bid contracts in Iraq, and they have seen incredible stock jumps.  Yes, Bush and Chaney have set themselves up using our kids lives as collateral.

Bush has major ties with Halliburton, Kellogg-Brown&Root, and their sub companies.  All of these companies were granted EXCLUSIVE contracts to 'rebuild' iraq and suport our forces there.  Funny thing is, I thought the Military were suppoed to be self-supporting in theater.  But what do I know, I was only in 10 years....

I guess, seeing as I got off track here, I should tie this back together. McCain/Palin would have you believe that this war is patriotic, is one for our freedom.  I say bullshit.  A group of men fought and died for our freedom 232 years ago.  These men had aspirations to create a great country and to help its citizens become prosperous.  What this war today does is makes us more hated in the world, lines the pockets of our elected officials, and gets our kids killed.  Very much like Vietnam...  So I say to McCain and Palin that they are right to equate THIS war with Vietnam, but not for the reasons they are trying to sell to the American public.

No comments: